Orlando Physical Disability Lawyer
Chronic Pain And Other Physical Impairments
Chronic pain can be disabling and individuals with chronic pain also take strong medications that make working even more difficult due to side effects and fatigue. SSA rules do not require objective evidence of pain. SSA applies a 3 part test of pain: Does the person have an underlying medical condition, and either objective medical evidence confirming the severity of the alleged pain, or that the medical condition can reasonably be expected to produce the alleged symptoms. SSA will look at your daily activities as one factor in determining the severity of your pain.
Arthritis/osteoarthritis, inflammatory arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and related conditions can cause pain that limits the ability to work or move around. Your doctor must provide appropriate test results, exam notes, and document the severity of your disease and how it prevents you from working and doing daily activities.
Chronic back or neck pain can be caused by injuries or surgery. Benefits are determined in part by whether you can you sit, stand, walk, bend, crouch, crawl, move objects with your hands and work in hot/cold environments, among other criteria.
Fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome also cause chronic pain. Medical reports from a rheumatologist must show evidence such as trigger and tender points; 11 of 18 tender points are considered active fibromyalgia.
I also represent people with Social Security Disability claims involving:
- Diabetes, including Schmidt’s syndrome, neuropathy/nerve damage
- Neurological disorders, muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, epilepsy/seizures, brain damage, stroke
- Joint dysfunction
- Hepatitis C
- Inflammatory bowel disease, Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, interstitial cystitis
- Hypertension, cardiac disease, cardiomyopathy, coronary and peripheral artery diseases
- Respiratory disorders, COPD, asthma, bronchitis
- Vision loss
- Liver and kidney disease
- Cancer, post-chemotherapy and post-radiation syndrome
- Ischemic heart disease
- Congestive heart failure
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Lyme Disease
This is only a partial list; speak with me if you do not see your condition.